Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A response to a Post by Judy O'Connell

A response to a post by Judy O'Connell - via Stephen Downes https://heyjude.wordpress.com/2006/08/24/teacher-as-learner-in-web-20/

This is to let you know that dropping out can come before or after the degree.

I was lucky when I went back for my Ph.D. because I was able to do (pause for a big breath before I roll out the phrase) an Autoethnographic Arts-Based Narrative Inquiry, with phenomenological and ethnographic approaches (inhale!) to study my own learning as I moved onto the computer, the Web, and Web 2.0 - under Dr. Pat Diamond (originally from Australia.)

My thesis was on learning to teach communications skills with this wonderful new technology. I had travelled from technophobia to technophilia and OISE/University of Toronto allowed me to write my thesis studying how that happened and its learning impact on me and in my classrooms.

The irony is I was not allowed to use my Ph.D. in the Ontario Community College where I worked because it was in education, which has been ruled "not a discipline". (A further irony, degrees in education are "counted" for administrative positions.) I also found it very difficult to get teaching assignments that used my computer and Web knowledge. I took early retirement, and I now teach part time at UTM in a program that values my degree and my knowledge, and have set up my own consulting & training business, JNthWEB.

I worry that the educational institutions are missing the Web 2.0 boat, and that our students are being poorly served. I still believe the university experience can be a broadening and depthening (I think I've just invented a new word) one and that legacy knowledge is very, very important. I don't think that most areas in most institutions are courageous and fair enough to return the courtesy.

No comments: