Friday, July 28, 2006

Grey's Anatomy - My TV Fav

ABC.com: Grey's Anatomy

I watched two back-to-back episodes yesterday evening. I'd seen both before, but I still totally enjoyed them. Why? Because they show people behaving badly but trying to do their best. And they might be simplified psychologically, but they aren't widely inaccurate, as many TV shows are.

Ellen Pompeo

Take Meredith, the central figure. She has a difficult but brilliant mother with Alzheimer's, and Meredith has to struggle to be responsible. she's no plaster saint, but she's understandable, and she tries!

The same thing with her love interest and his wife. The situation's is acknowledged, but all three try to behave with as much grace and ethics as they can, and their struggles are heroic, IMHO.

Sandra Oh

Then there's Sandra Oh as Christina. I absolutely love her. She's beyond difficult, and she knows she is, but she accepts herself, and still works at becoming more human. The way she connects with her friends and Preston Burke enthralls me. She's my favorite character/actor in the cast.

Chandra Wilson

Dr Bailey is my second favorite. I guess I like testy women who take no prisoners. She (the character) is blunt and firm, yet ethically-based, rather than power-hungry or ego-biased. She is a really positive female role model.

T.R. Knight

I like the men too, especially George as he surprises himself as he develops into maturity. In some ways he's the most overtly immature, but all the characters in this show are facing their developmental challenges and trying their best in human (as well as surgical) terms.

Watching the episodes for the second time through the summer re-runs, I see that this was a fully thought out set of episodes, with character consistency clearly evident. As you can tell, I like it a lot!

tags


No comments: